Herringbone tiles are rectangular tile pieces that meet at perfect straight edges to create a zig-zag pattern. Herringbones tiles pattern uses rectangular tiles instead of angled tiles. Therefore, this made the design look staggered or broken. It is usually laid at a 45degree angle to the floor or walls that it adjoins. When herringbone tiles are laid horizontally, they can create a unique and unusual design that will make the pattern accessible.
Herringbone tiles have been the most acceptable pattern worldwide because of their uniqueness and simplicity in installation. It was specially named herringbone because it resembles the bones of a fish such as a herring. Herringbone tiles blocks can be parallelograms or rectangles. It can be used for road pavement, wall, and floor tiling.
The block edge length ratio of herringbone tiles is usually 2:1 and, at times, 3:1, respectively. A herringbone pattern is now in wallpaper, mosaics, clothing, and so on. There is no limit to where you can use herringbone tiles. It is used for both wall and floor tiling of bathrooms, kitchens, and bedrooms. Herringbone tiles’ pattern is durable, and they can resist water. One of the most effective tiling layouts is the herringbone tiles pattern.
Frequently, herringbone patterns can be confused with chevron tiling because they both have a similar angular layout. However, chevron tiles feature diagonally cut edges that classically sit flush with one another to form a distinctive point, while herringbone feature four-sided tiles overlap.
ADVANTAGES OF HERRINGBONE PATTERN
- Herringbone tile backsplash doesn’t require any unique tiles. Herringbone tiles don’t need any additional cutting to be laid. Unlike other patterns, which may need tiles to be cut to a specific measurement. In other words, this unique pattern doesn’t call for any supplementary tiles to bring out its beauty in fullness.
- Herringbone tiles use a standard rectangular tile. And these rectangular tiles can be found easily at any hardware or home development store. Herringbone tiles backsplash is easy to get.
- Herringbone tiles pattern is a tried-and-true method of tile-laying. This unique pattern is easy to lay down, and it is easy to personalize.
- It can make the most straightforward spaces look more eye-catching. Applying a white tile in a herringbone pattern can upraise the area that you’re renovating. A herringbone tile floor will go a long way in making your new modified house feel more like home. It all depends on the tile you want to use.
- Herringbone tiles are easy to install. If you have an idea and you know the materials and tools needed, you can install your tiles in this pattern. All you need to do is scour for how to lay tiles in a herringbone pattern and follow the guide.
- It is a pattern that is useful in the bathrooms. Herringbone tiles’ patterns can resist water. Water cannot penetrate easily into this unique pattern.
- Herringbone tiling layout can add subtle style to a room. It will create a black canvas for the rest of the space.
- Herringbone tiles will add visual detail to your floors or walls because of the unusual pattern. It suits any style.
- Herringbone tiles add width to the room. At times, the area you are tiling may be narrow. The herringbone tiling layout can make it seem more comprehensive than the original length. The reason is that the tiles are placed transversely, drawing the eye out to the uttermost part of the room.
DISADVANTAGES OF HERRINGBONE PATTERN
The herringbone tiling pattern requires that you bring into line your tiles faultlessly before laying with no slip-up. A small error in the coordination and the procedure of tiles can damage the whole job as it will look insufficient after the entire floor or wall is set.
Hence, the most significant disadvantage of laying herringbone tiles comes up in the actual installation. The truth remains that the herringbone tiles pattern is easier to do on your own than another pattern, but it can still pose some level of difficulty. There is a fixed measurement to follow and consider, which must be accurate. No miscalculations.
Also, if one fails to align the tiles correctly before installing, the whole job will look unsatisfactory. With the herringbone tiles pattern, it is easy to start strong with accurate calculations and then veer off course along the way. So, it requires complete and total concentration.
Any blunders in lining up the tiles will be recognized once the rest of the design has been positioned into place, and the result will look more disordered than sophisticated.
Herringbone tiles’ pattern also requires all the tools and materials to create its design. You can’t compare it to another way to only need four to five devices to do them effectively. Hence, putting all this into consideration makes this unique pattern to be more expensive than another pattern.
Peradventure, you don’t want to take any chances. Therefore, to avoid any issue, make sure you take your time to check and double-check your work before you start. It would be best to employ a contractor or a trained tiler to help you out.
Herringbone tiles have a great advantage. It is a unique pattern that has a glamorous look, and it is fashionable. It is simple to install, and it is the most durable pattern for tiling the wall and floor of your kitchen, bathroom, and other places in your home. Virtually all types of tiles can be used to form this unique pattern. You can use ceramics, granite, marble, and other natural stone tiles to create this unique design. Moreover, don’t forget that it is easy to install if the fo instructions are followed closely.
However, we also highlighted some deficiencies in these herringbone pattern tiles. It doesn’t give room for any mistake either in measurement or calculation. Finally, we advised that if you don’t want to take any chance, you can employ a qualified contractor or a well-trained tiler to help you make your home feel new and modern.